The pulled pork is PERFECT for a big party or entertaining. I make it for football parties or entertaining a group of friends and family as it serves 10 to 12. It is super easy and delicious! Here is the recipe below:
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper Pinch of cayenne pepper, optional
- 5 pounds boneless pork butt or shoulder
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups barbecue sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- 10 to 12 soft hamburger-style buns
Cut pork butt in half; place in a slow cooker and add water. Set on low heat and cook for 10 hours. Transfer from slow cooker to a roasting pan and shred with two forks, removing any large pieces of fat. Pour the broth into a heatproof pitcher or large fat separator, and skim off the fat.
Put the pork back into the slow cooker. Combine the barbecue sauce and 3 cups of the skimmed broth. Stir into pork and cook 2 hours. Using a slotted spoon, remove the pork from the slow cooker. Place the meat on a serving platter or on individual buns. Serve the remaining sauce alongside.